Monday, May 26, 2014

The Best Emerald Shiner Pattern Ever






I have long wondered about streamer patterns, and what I wonder is if any of the originators ever actually saw a real prey fish. The smelt imitations are the worst, but other minnow imitations are almost as bad. This one has been working like a charm on smallmouth, and it has supplanted most of my previous favorite patterns. I can take some credit, but it was based on a pattern I saw years ago by Bill Murdoch of the Tampa Bay fly fishing club. Anyway, I actually designed it to look like an emerald shiner. If you choose not to tie it, then it is on you because I gave you the pattern.

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S stinger, size 2

Body: none, but I am planning to tie a few with a thin copper flashabou wrap to resemble the lateral line. A base of white thread with pearl flashabou would probably be OK too, but you do not need a body.

Wing: A good bunch of white bucktail. Then layer 10-15 strands of chartreuse bucktail and a half dozen pieces of pearl Flashabou. Then 10-15 strands of olive bucktail, and 8-10 strands of green flashabou. More strands for bling, fewer for subtle. Top with either peacock herl or a synthetic substitute. I like herl better because nothing matches it, but flashabou is more durable, so I often used some of each.

Head: the tiedown of all those bulky materials leaves sort of a mess, so I put in a few wraps of red stuff to cover it all. You could use flashabou or krystal flash, but I think the one in the photo used red micro chenille or wool. This is optional, but it makes the fly look cool. Then wrap a fairly large head and whip finish. Twice. The head should be substantial to provide a base for the eyes.

Eyes: stick on fake eyes with superglue. Then add some of that UV cure clearcoat if you have it, or epoxy if you don't. I use Solarez because it is cheap and someday I might want to take up surfing and repair my surfboard. You need just enough to hold the eyes on permanently.

Emerald shiners were formerly common in the Great Lakes but became rare after Alewife proliferated. Recent declines in alewife have led to a comback, and everyone eats them. This fly gave me my best "insane numbers of really big smallmouth bass" day, the fly in the photo was the actual fly that provided the experience.

The one drawback to this pattern is that the materials occasionally wrap around the shank during fishing. It can't be helped (or at least I can't figure out a way to stop it) so you have to check it occasionally. To me, this is minor because it produces so well, but I had to point that out. But it is durable, the fly above is still pretty after over 25 bass.



No comments:

Post a Comment